Aug 19, 2010

VS 2010 Tip: Do not automatically save projects

I believe this feature has been around for a while – I enabled it a couple of months ago after hearing about it when viewing a presentation from TechEd North America 2010 (DEV315: Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tips and Tricks)PDC09 talk (or maybe it was a MiX talk, I don’t remember right now – I’ll update the post later with the details).

I found a problem with this tonight – so I thought I’d post it.

First to configure VS 2010 to not automatically save projects when created, and thus not fill your drive with junk projects do the following:

Go to Tools Options…

Select “Projects and Solutions” in the left portion of the dialog and uncheck the option “Save new projects when created” on the right side (shown here):

image

It’s just that simple!

Now for the problem I found tonight. I’m playing around with the Azure Management API and created a simple project to do some testing. I needed to set a reference to some of the Windows Azure libraries, so I went to Solution Explorer, right clicked on ‘References’, selected ‘Add Reference…’ and got the following:

image

It didn’t take too much to figure out that I just needed to save the project – but it would have been nice to be able to add references without needing to save, or to at least be prompted to save the project so that I could add a reference. I’ll know next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment