Feb 11, 2011

Business Travel Essentials

While I travel less now than I have in the past I’ve had a couple experiences recently that have reminded me how important it is to have the right equipment with you on a business trip. Here I outline some of the items that I find essential – please add your thoughts!

The most recent additions to my list are:

  • DisplayPort to DVI adaptor
  • DVI to HDMI cable

With more hotels having LCD TVs this combination of cables allows me to add a second monitor to my workstation while in my room. I’ve had some TV remotes that include an ‘input’ button and others where I had to find the button on the TV itself (check the sides). Often it is not a real high resolution, but it still provides a second monitor! On a similar note I just purchased a 7” USB monitor. I’ve not yet had it long enough to know if I’ll find it useful, or if I will decide it is worth packing with me on trips – but it seems promising right now.

Here’s a picture of me using the TV during a recent trip.

HotelTvAsSecondMonitor

Most of the other items do not require much explanation:

  • network cable
  • USB mini & USB micro cables
  • wireless travel router
  • small power strip (I’m currently carrying one with 3 outlets and 2 USB power ports)
  • small flashlight
  • mini screwdrivers (flat and phillips)
  • travel headset with microphone (VoIP calls)

If I’m renting a car I also include the following:

  • car power port (cigarette lighter) to USB adapter
  • windshield mount for phone/gps

Of course there are some items that don’t stay packed but do make it on every trip. These include my eBook reader, mp3 player (very little music, lots of audio books and podcasts) and a magazine or two to read when electronic devices are not able to be used on my flights.

I also try to purchase an extra power adaptor for my laptops – I left mine home on one trip, luckily I was working with a team and we were able to share adaptors for similar laptops.

I’m probably forgetting some items that remain buried in my backpack and pulled out infrequently. Tell me what you find to be your essentials!

1 comment:

  1. Using the hotel's LCD TV as a monitor is a good idea. It is always easy to forget something essential when in a business trip. Thanks for sharing your list. It will be very useful!

    pattaya villas

    ReplyDelete