Mar 5, 2012

Getting Ready for Utah Code Camp Spring 2012

It’s March and that means that we are getting ready for the Utah Code Camp Spring 2012 event. This year the code camp will be held this Saturday (March 10th 2012) again at Neumont University. This is a great facility and they are very kind to host many community events!

Check out the schedule for the code camp here: http://www.utahcodecamp.com/Schedule

I am working on finalizing my two presentations.
1) Just before the lunch break (11:30 to 12:30) I will be presenting ‘Build Your First Windows Azure Application”. This will be a hands on session – so if you are coming to it please be ready! I’ll have another post no later than tomorrow with the details of what will need to be installed to participate in the session, but you are welcome to just watch me too!
2) In the last session of the day (4:00 to 5:00) I will be presenting “Are You Certifiable?”. In this session we will be talking about the merits of developer focused certifications and laying out a plan of action to attach a new certification if you have the desire – hopefully this will be a very interactive session with people sharing their thoughts and their experiences!

Overall this is a pretty big, and full, code camp. Based on the current version of the schedule there are 9 rooms (one only has two sessions scheduled) and 6 sessions for a total of 50 sessions to choose from!
I’m sure that I will have a hard time deciding which sessions to attend, but here is a first cut of what I’m thinking:

Session 1: Windows 8 for Developers (alternate choices are: Introduction to jQuery; Advanced Team Foundation Server 2010 Programming)

Session 2: Programming for the Kinect (alternate choices: Test Driving Javascript; Agile Development Primer; Code Katas Continued: Practicing your Craft)

Session 3: No choice here, I’m presenting Build Your First Windows Azure Application (I’m sad to be missing: Building HTML5/JavaScript applications in Windows 8; It’s All Geek to Me)

Session 4: Polling is for Chumps (WebSockets & Server-Sent Events) (alternate choices: The Browser Is the Platform; Simplify Testing with Test Doubles; Identity Federation with Windows Azure Access Control Service)

Session 5: Branches and Merges are Bears, Oh My! (alternate choices: CSS Best Practices; Randori: Group Practice)

Session 6: Again, no choice here. I’m presenting Are You Certifiable? (I’m sad to be missing: Linq (From the Inside); The Future of JavaScript; Rocking WebForms with jQuery; Transforming traditional portals to social intranets; Ask a DBA) – great sessions in this last of the day slot!

Some very hard choices there, I really wish that I could see all the sessions!

Thanks to everyone involved in the code camp – it is a lot of work and it is a great event.

Hope to see lots of friends, and find new ones on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment